Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Apples!

One of the fun things about fall is APPLES. We have so-o-o many things we can do with them and there are so-o-o many different kinds of apples. I have always loved apples but I don't always do much baking with them.

Katrina wanted to do some canning with apples so I picked a box full and sent them home with her. I still had lots of apples left so I thought I should try to make something good. I know it's hard to believe but I made an apple pie on Saturday and it was delicious! Can you imagine? Me, making a pie!

Ryan and Aimee were over to watch BSU play so we decided to grill some steaks and I thought an apple pie sounded like a good dessert. I used frozen pie crust and sliced up some golden delicious apples from our tree and let the pie cook while Boise was playing the first half of the game against San Jose'. By half time, the pie was done but it needed to sit and cool for awhile. The filling would have run everywhere if I had cut it too soon.

Since the game was a blow-out and all the second and third string players were taking over in the second half, it was a little boring to watch. We were all getting anxious to eat the pie. The aroma of the pie was enticing us to cut it right away but we were patient and waited for an hour. Finally we cut the pie, put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on it and enjoyed every scrumptious bite!

We will continue to enjoy nice, crisp apples from our tree. I have a box full of them. Mark loves to eat apples by dipping them in caramel sauce. I like to eat them for lunch. We enjoy having fruit salads with chopped apples. I have even made croissants with a chicken salad filling that had apples in it. I don't think there is a bad way to eat an apple.

1 comment:

  1. i never thought i would see the day that you would make a pie! thats too funny. and that you are finally eating and enjoying all those delicious apples! how fun!!
    sounds like you are enjoying the fall! :)

    ReplyDelete